Friday, November 30, 2012

I'm not a failure afterall ...

I found out this week that G is sensory seeking. This explains so much. Yes he is a normal child but there are some slight differences that made me wonder what I was doing wrong. Like the fact that he doesn't sit still in church, doesn't respond the word "no" or knows when he's not suppose to do something but does it anyway. When we try to correct inappropriate behavior (like playing with the TV cords or oven buttons) & get after him as soon as we let him down he goes back to the cord etc.
G is constantly moving jumping & going. He has 1 speed & that's FAST. I love that about him but it's not always appropriate. When he gets older we should be able to get more help specific to him but for now I will let him jump, touch & go go go. He can't concentrate if his sensory needs are not being met. We will have to constantly adjust our parenting style & let him be the best him he can be. That's my goal at least. Boy am I glad that I have patience. It took 12 years to get it & he's going to need every ounce of it.
I love this kid & am thankful he is in our lives!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I don't know but that sounds sounds like both my boys at 1 yr old---LOL! all joking aside he is lucky to have parents so pro-active about finding answers and helping him:)

Verity said...

I'd never heard of "sensory seeking," but there are lot of interesting resources out there for it! Here was a site I found helpful after reading your post:
http://voices.yahoo.com/calming-activities-children-sensory-processing-10929050.html

Loves to you, baby G, and Brant!

Gpa Sheen said...

You do have your hands full with him. :)

Gpa Sheen said...

You do have your hands full with him. :)